Cardiff University in UK invites applications for the Ursula Henriques Scholarship open to all students of any nationality without restrictions for 2018/2019 academic session.
In January 2001 Cardiff University received a gift of £100,000 from Professor Henriques (1914 – 2008), a former member of staff in the Department of History and Welsh History, University College Cardiff. Now in its 16th year, the legacy rotates annually between the Schools of English, Communication and Philosophy, History, Archaeology and Religion, and Modern Languages.
The School of English, Communication and Philosophy is a large multi-disciplinary school which has a dynamic and highly successful research culture. Currently there are 127 registered postgraduate research students in the School and 80 postgraduate taught students. The School prides itself on providing an excellent experience for its postgraduate students in a highly research-active environment that is also friendly, supportive and personalised.
Worth of Award
In 2018-19 the award is with the School of English, Communication and Philosophy and has been used to create on a competitive basis two one-year partial fee scholarships of £2,500 for postgraduate applicants holding an offer of a place on a PhD or MA programme in the School to commence in the academic year 2018-19.
- Tuition fee support (£2,500)
- Maintenance stipend
- Open to all students of any nationality without restrictions (UK/EU and International)
- Applicants must:
- have accepted Cardiff University as their firm choice institution by 31 May 2018
- be commencing their programme of study in the 2018-19 session
- be holding an unconditional or conditional offer
- be self-funding and not be in receipt of any other substantial award.
- Applicants for whom English is not a first language will be required to have English language proficiency at IELTS 7.5 level with a minimum of 7.0 in each sub score for entry onto the PhD, and an overall score of 7.0 level with a minimum of 6.5 in each sub score for entry onto the MA.
How to Apply
- The application form can be obtained by emailing
- Completed forms should be returned electronically to the School Postgraduate Office by 5 pm on 31 May 2018.
Deadline: applications close 31 May 2018.