MFS Scholarships at Michigan State University, USA – 2018. Mastercard Foundation has partnered with Michigan State University to provide full tuition scholarships to Master’s degree students from sub-Saharan Africa.
Eligible students have demonstrated academic talent, are economically disadvantaged, and have a personal commitment to serve their countries or regions of origin.
Expenses Covered by the Program
The MasterCard Foundation Scholarship provides comprehensive support for the completion of a bachelor’s or master’s degree. We cover:
- Travel costs
- Visa and SEVIS fees
- Tuition and other MSU fees
- Housing, food, and living expenses
- Health insurance
Program Scholars are also provided with a laptop and backpack.
The Program does not provide support for dependents of Scholars.
If you are accepted as a MasterCard Foundation Scholar, you are not required to submit the $250 Advanced Enrollment Deposit (AED). The MasterCard scholarship will cover this fee for those accepted to the Program. Selected scholars will be directed to take steps to secure their F-1 Visa.
MasterCard Foundation Scholar candidates are not required to submit financial information, including an Affidavit of Support, Statement of Financial Proof, or supporting bank statement. The only financial documentation required is contained in the MSU MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program application.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
The program is open to residents and citizens of Sub-Saharan African countries. Students who are already enrolled in degree programs in Africa or elsewhere are not eligible for the program. Students who are accepted to the program demonstrate the following qualities:
- Prior completion of a bachelor’s degree from an African University with academic achievements suggesting continued academic success as a graduate student.
- Strong commitment to a professional path in line with an area of study that can positively impact Africa.
- Demonstrated interest and capacity for serving others through engagement in volunteer activities in school, college, or community.
- Leadership potential.
- Ability to cope with change, and interest in other countries and cultures.
- Significant financial need and/or from lowest income bracket in country of origin.
- Commitment to return to serve home country or region in ways that enhance economic growth and social development.
How to Apply
To apply for The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program, fill out the Scholar’s Program graduate application on the school website.